Are you ready to take your push-up game to the next level?
Not only is this exercise a great way to add variety to your workout routine.
It also offers a host of benefits including improved posture and stability, increased muscle activation, and a stronger, more defined upper body.
So, whether you’re a beginner looking to step up your fitness game or a seasoned pro looking for a new challenge, the superman push up is definitely worth a try!
What Is Superman Push Up
The Superman Push Up is a variation of the traditional push up exercise to improve overall upper body strength.
It is a more advanced variation of push up that requires more balance, stability, and strength from the core, chest, shoulders and glutes.
There are two ways to do superman push-ups.
- The first version requires both your hands and feet to be on the floor.
- The second variation, also called flying push-ups, is more explosive and requires you to push through your hands and feet into the ground to lift your whole body off the ground.
Benefits of the Superman Push Up
The Superman Push Up offers many benefits, including:
- The Superman push up targets the chest, shoulders, and triceps, helping to build upper body strength.
- The lifting of the legs and arms simultaneously during the exercise requires the use of the core muscles. It helps to improve overall core stability.
- It helps to strengthen the back, which can help to improve posture and reduce the risk of back pain.
- It requires the use of multiple muscle groups, which helps to increase muscle activation and improve overall muscle tone.
- As an advanced level of push up, it can also get the heart rate up and improves cardiovascular health.
Muscles Worked During Superman Push Up
The superman push up is a compound exercise that targets multiple muscle groups, including:
The Superman Push Up is a full-body exercise that targets a variety of muscle groups, including:
- When you lift your arms up and down, you work your chest, shoulders, and triceps.
- Core muscles, including the rectus abdominis, obliques, and transverse abdominis, are engaged as you lift your legs and arms off the ground.
- Upper back muscles, including trapezius and latissimus dorsi, are worked as you lift your arms and legs off the ground.
- The muscles of the glutes, hamstrings are also worked as you lift your legs.
How to perform the Superman Push Up
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to perform the Superman Push Up:
- Start in a traditional push up position.
- Now extended your arms out in front of you and your legs should be extended behind you.
- Your fingers are spread out and your core and glutes are tight
- Lower your body down to the ground, keeping your back straight and your core engaged.
- Hold this Superman position for a second or two, then slowly lower your body back to the starting position.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
Tips And Technique For Doing Superman Push Ups
Here are some tips and techniques to help you perform the Superman Push Up correctly:
1. Keep your form in check
Make sure to keep your back straight and your core engaged throughout the exercise to avoid injury.
Keep your neck in a neutral position and avoid looking up or down.
Breathe in as you lower your body, and breathe out as you lift.
This will help you maintain proper form and control during the exercise.
3. Start with a lower number of reps
If you’re new to the Superman push up, start with a lower number of reps and work your way up as you build strength and confidence.
4. Keep your core tight
Keep your core tight throughout the movement to maintain proper form and to prevent your lower back injury.
5. Control the movement
Move in a slow and controlled manner, focus on the muscle groups you are working, avoid momentum or bouncing.
By following these tips and techniques, you can help ensure that you are performing the superman push up correctly and getting the most out of the exercise.
Progressions and Progressing the Superman Push Up
The superman push up is an advanced exercise that requires a certain level of strength and stability before attempting.
Here are some ways to progress towards the superman push up:
1. Traditional push ups
Starting with traditional push ups is a great way to build the foundation of strength and stability needed to progress towards the Superman Push Up.
Traditional push ups work the chest, shoulders, triceps, and core muscles, which are all important muscle groups for the superman push up.
How To Do It
- Start in a push-up position with your hands placed slightly wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Keep your core engaged and your back straight as you lower your body towards the ground.
- Keep your elbows close to your body as you lower down.
- Push back up to the starting position, keeping your core engaged and your back straight.
Incorporating Superman exercises into your workout routine is a great way to build the strength and stability needed for the Superman Push Up.
How To Do It
- Lie on your stomach with your arms extended in front of you and your legs straight.
- Simultaneously lift your arms, legs, and chest off the ground.
- Hold the position for a moment before returning to the starting position.
3. Extended Plank
The extended plank is a variation of the traditional plank exercise that can be used as a progression towards the superman push up.
The extended plank involves holding a plank position with your hands and feet on the ground, but with your arms extended out in front of you, similar to the superman position in the superman Push Up.
How To Do It
- Start with traditional plank.
- Your arms should be extended out in front of you and your legs should be extended behind you while holding the plank position.
- Gradually increase the duration of the hold for the desired amount of time.
4. Clapping Push Up
The Clapping push up is a more advanced variation of the traditional push up that can be used as a progression towards the Superman push up.
The clapping push up involves pushing your body off the ground with enough force that you can clap your hands before catching yourself and returning to the starting position.
How To Do It
- Start in a traditional push up position.
- Lower your body towards the ground.
- As you push back up to the starting position, explode off the ground, pushing your body up with enough force that your hands leave the ground.
- Clap your hands in mid-air before catching yourself and returning to the starting position.
Flying Superman Push-Up
The flying superman push-up is an advanced exercise that requires more strength.
It involves a dynamic movement, where you push your body off the ground, lifting your chest and legs at the same time.
It increases the dynamic and explosiveness of the movement, and it requires more strength, balance and stability.
Superman push up is a difficult movement that only experienced people should try.
How To Do It
- Start in the same position as a traditional push-up.
- Lower your body towards the ground by bending both elbows.
- Forcefully push your hands into the ground in order to propel your torso up and away from the ground as fast as possible.
- Your hands and legs should also leave the ground.
- Land softly on your hands, bending the elbows to cushion the landing.
Incorporating the Superman Push Up into a workout routine
Incorporating the superman push Up into your workout routine can be a great way to build overall upper body and core strength.
Here are some tips for incorporating it into your workout routine:
- Start with a lower number of reps: If you’re new to it, start with a lower number of reps and work your way up as you build strength and confidence.
- Incorporate it into your push-up routine: By doing a few traditional push ups and then a few superman Push Ups, and repeat.
- Add it to your core workout: You can add it to your core workout routine, as it works both your upper body and core muscles.
- Incorporate it into your circuit training: You perform a series of exercises in a specific order, with little or no rest between exercises.
- Incorporate it as a finisher: Doing it at the end of your workout to exhaust the muscle group and promote muscle growth.
Is superman push up difficult?
The superman push up is considered an advanced exercise and can be difficult for some people, especially if they are new to the exercise or have limited upper body and core strength.
It’s important to progress slowly, start with a lower number of reps and work your way up as you build strength and confidence.
Are Spiderman push ups effective?
Superman push Ups are an effective but challenging exercise that targets multiple muscle groups including chest, shoulders, triceps, and core muscles.
They can help to build overall upper body and core strength, stability and improve overall fitness.
The Superman Push Up is a challenging but highly effective exercise that targets multiple muscle groups and can help to build overall upper body and core strength.
It can be a great way to add variety and challenge to your workout routine, as well as promote muscle growth and improve overall fitness.
Before attempting the Superman Push Up, it’s important to build a foundation of strength and stability with traditional push ups and other exercises that target the same muscle groups.
As you build strength and confidence, you can gradually incorporate the superman push Up into your workout routine.
- Push-Ups: How-To, Muscle Worked, Benefit, Variations
- 15 Bodyweight Triceps Exercises: Beginner to Advanced
- 20 Different Types Of Push Ups For Mass And Strength
- How To Do Scapula Push Ups And Its Other Variations
- Best Push Ups For Inner Chest To Build Size And Strength
- Best Push Ups For Upper Chest To Build Size And Strength
Advanced Push-Up Variations To Build Strength And Mass
7 Best Push Up For Beginners To Build Stronger Upper Body
The tricep muscle is a crucial part of the upper arm and is often neglected in workout routines. …
The tricep rope extension is an effective triceps exercise. For this exercise, you’ll need a cable p…
You are at the right place if you are looking for the best bodyweight triceps exercises for gaining …